Aug 8, 2012

Using IIS and XAMPP together

I am ASP.NET developer as well as a PHP developer. I have my visual studio installed in my laptop to work on asp.net/.NET and now I need to install XAMPP to work on PHP, MySQL, Apache and Perl. By default IIS uses port 80 and 443 for HTTP and HTTPS, and Apache also uses the same ports as IIS. Now to solve the conflict of ports there is only two way:
  1. Change IIS config – the hardest way
  2. Change Apache config – the easiest way
I choose to go with second option, and which is lot more easier. I installed XAMPP in my drive D:

I need to configure Apache to listen to port 8080.
  1. Edit file D:/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.config
  2. Find "Listen 80" and change it to "Listen 8080"
  3. Find "ServerName localhost:80" and change it to "ServerName localhost:8080"
Now I need to configure for SSL/HTTPS.
  1. Edit file D:/xampp/apache/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf
  2. Find "Listen 443" and change it to "Listen 4499"
  3. Find "VirtualHost _default_:443" and change it to "VirtualHost _default_:4499"
  4. Find "ServerName localhost:443" and change it to "ServerName localhost:4499"
Well that’s it, now apache is listening to port number 8080 and HTTPS/SSL is listening to port number 4499. You can assign any port number for respective apache HTTP and apache HTTPS/SSL.

Lastly make sure that you request XAMPP apache by specifying the port number i.e. http://localhost:8080. If not the request will be redirected to IIS, since it is listening on default port.

No comments:

Post a Comment